Thursday, October 28, 2010

Fabulous Pumpkin Brownies

I'm trying to be unbiased while researching the different options for birth and raising children but I have to admit, I'm much more inclined to choose home birth vs hospital birth and no epidural vs epidural. The biggest thing I'm looking at now is what to do *before* you're pregnant. The years leading up to pregnancy are as important as the time you are pregnant. Some ladies start popping prenatal vitamins when they decide to try to get pregnant and while that may do some good, it won't do as much good as eating right and *planning* your pre-pregnancy time. If I want to have a baby in 5-6 years, then I need to start now making sure I'm on the right path! I want to be well prepared before becoming pregnant is anywhere close to being in my near future.

But now onto some Real Food happiness - Look at this deliciousness on a platter! Gluten Free!

Pumpkin Chocolate Swirl Brownies
Makes 16 Brownies

8 tablespoons butter
6-8 ounces organic dark chocolate (Lindt 85% is a good brand)
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 teaspoon aluminum free baking powder (optional)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup organic cane sugar
6 pastured eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract (gluten free)
1 1/4 cups organic pumpkin puree (canned or homemade)
1/4 cup coconut oil, unrefined expeller pressed
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
pinch of cayenne

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch square baking pan or dish.
2. Melt chocolate and butter in a saucepan over lowest heat until melted, watch closely.
3. Whisk together flour, baking powder, cayenne, and salt in a bowl; set aside. Put sugar, eggs, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; beat until fluffy and well combined, 3 to 5 minutes. Beat in flour mixture.
4. Pour half of batter into the chocolate mixture, mix well.
5. In another bowl, stir in the pumpkin, coconut oil, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add half of the batter to this mixture
6. Transfer half of chocolate batter to prepared pan smoothing top with a rubber spatula. Top with half of pumpkin batter. Repeat to make one more chocolate layer and one more pumpkin layer. Work quickly so batters don’t set.
7. With a small spatula or a table knife, gently swirl the two batters to create a marbled effect. Be sure to get your knife all the way to the bottom of the pan.
8. Bake until set, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into 16 squares.

This recipe is from Divine Health

No comments:

Post a Comment