Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Oh, Baby (food!)

Despite the fact that I won't be able to raise my own chickens for a while (grumble), I've been studying up on what I've deemed The Art of Not Killing Poultry. I don't exactly have a green thumb so I'm hoping my attempts at caring for livestock won't become my attempt at starting a pet cemetery. I love the idea of not just raising chickens but living a self-sustained life. Something deep inside me felt joyous at the thought of one day being as self-sustained as possible. I was talking to a friend the other day about what went into baby food and how I was absolutely excited at the thought of making my own baby food one day. Can you imagine? The thought makes me so happy. I want to know exactly what goes into my own body but the thought of being completely in charge of planting, growing and making my babies food is so amazing to me. I've already decided that unless there is some God-designed reason that I can't breastfeed then I'll be doing that (and if I can't, I've already found an all natural alternative!) It amazes me how much 'power' in breast milk.

It feels weird to think about these things now as I have no plans to have kids w/i the next 3 years minimum but I want to get myself as ready as possible. Not just physically so I'll be the best 'lil baby grower ever but I want to gain the knowledge I need to make sure my baby grows up to be as healthy and intelligent as possible. I've been looking up birthing methods and am leaning towards a home birth. Not 100% sure about doing it at home but I'm definitely going natural. I want to do more research but I'm afraid some hospitals may not be fans of all natural birth. I've always been a 'wuss' when it comes to pain. Not a big fan of it but I'm going natural for a number of reasons - I don't really want the drugs you get to be in my body in case it effects my baby. Sure, an epidural might not do any damage but why chance it? Secondly, I'm sort of looking forward to the 'challenge' of all natural birth. I want to experience what my ancestors experienced. So many people these days just hop on the epidural without a second thought. I just like the idea of everything from before conception to everything after the child is born being as natural as possible! :) What an awesome feeling it would be.

An awesome article to read from the Weston A. Price Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment