Sunday, September 19, 2010

OMGhee.

A few months ago, I was introduced to Sally Fallon's "Nourishing Traditions" and I quickly felt like I had fallen in love and down the rabbit hole. Don't get me wrong...I knew all about butter, lard and bacon. I was raised in the South, after all. But this book took everything I thought I knew about 'healthy foods' and thoroughly demolished it. What? Popping a lean cuisine into the microwave each night wasn't healthy? Switching over to diet instead of regular sodas wouldn't win me an award for my brave attempts on the battlefield of nourishment? Huh.

I have to admit, learning about real foods isn't at all as easy as it sounds. I thought that if I just threw together a meal using real butter and raw milk then I'd be considered "nourished". Not so much apparently. There is a lot that goes into changing up your lifestyle so completely. From bagel bites and dr pepper to beef stocks and kefir is quite the jump. I decided that I wasn't going to try to go cold turkey. I would learn as much as I could about the process, the foods and the concepts and slowly integrate it all into my life. I still have no clue of 'starters', 'soaking grains' and so many other things that at times I feel like I should just throw my raw milk soaked towel into the ring. But ever the fighter, I've continued stumbling through google search results and blog posts. The Weston A Price foundation website and my Nourishing Traditions book have become my best friends in the fight against processed foods. I've found a few online classes that seem to have a lot of promise. The forums for the classes alone get me excited ~ a chance to talk to an entire group of people who are striving for and interested in the same thing? Sign me up, Captain.

Now onto the guts of why I'm here. I decided to start this blog for two reasons. One: to give hope to other Nourishing Noobs out there so that they'll realize they aren't the only ones struggling and will continue to fight the good fight. Two: so I can see my own real foods journey. It'll be nice to see the difference of where I am now and where I'll be in few months or years. And please, please let there be a difference...

OK, Sally Fallon. You have my ear and my mixing bowl, let's see how this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment