Tuesday, September 21, 2010

How does an ant eat a bear?

One bite at a time.

I have to keep remembering this little bit of wisdom on my NT journey. It's been 4ish months since I was given my NT book and sometimes I feel like I haven't learned a thing while other times I'm taken back by how much I have learned. I find myself talking as if channeling Sally Fallon herself in a very twilight zone type of way. :)

Days like today though, when I think 'there is no possible way to fully switch to the NT way of life I'm so longing for', I think of that little ant and realize that I can, one bite at a time, get to where I want to be. It's very encouraging to read other NTers who have been at it for years say that they're still learning and adapting. One lady wrote that she and her family did it little by little, one change at a time.

The last two months have been a real eye opener to me as to what I've been eating. And it's not like I've even gotten close to a full NT change over! I feel like I've been doing so much research the only things getting any good out of all this are my fingers. But boy can I type fast now. :p I love talking to the folks at the local health food store. One gal I spoke with a few weeks ago basically said the same thing that I'd been thinking this whole time..."When you're changing up your lifestyle so completely, you're not going to do it overnight." (or in a few months, I silently added with a grimace...) But in the long run it'll definitely be worth. Not just for myself but I want to pass this knowledge onto my children one day. I want to nourish them before they're even born. I don't have plans for kids anytime in the near future. I just know that the type of changes I want to make can't be done properly after the stick turns blue so I'd best be on top of my game now, eh? My 'dream' is to one day raise my own chickens and grow as much of my own food as possible. I want to know exactly what's going into my body and my family's bodies. Luckily, I have a little bit of time before I need to build my chicken coop. :D
This link is a real inspiration for me and reminds me why I'm on this journey. http://nourishedkitchen.com/real-food/ I love the thought that one day, my child will have memories of shucking corn on the front porch, picking okra and eating veggies and fruits straight from the earth. I love the thought of living these traditions and passing them onto another generation.

The coolest thing is that it almost feels like I'm been in Nourishing College. I've been doing the book work, with the occasional lab but haven't gotten into the real world of Nourishing. But I'm getting there. :D For the most part, it feels like my entire journey thus far has been stalking the WAPF site and abusing google to find other NTers. It's amazing how many people are out there and willing...no..rabid to help and discuss ideas. So, I'm not going to be discouraged. I'm going to keep thinking about that little ant. If he can tackle such a big task, then by golly, so can I! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment