A month or so ago I stumbled upon an online class, "Real Food for Rookies", and quickly signed up. Having counted down the minutes until the class started, I could hardly wait to log on the first day. The first class was entitled "Reading labels to avoid junk." Well, the first day showed me exactly how little I know about the foods I'd been eating for so long. I assumed that if they could sell it at the grocery store then it would be fine to eat. Don't get me wrong, it won't kill you but nourishing? Um..no.
I've been plucking and savoring this first class with pleasure. At the start of my 'nourishing journey', I found that the ideal foods to eat are the foods with less ingredients. In other words, don't eat a food that comes from nature if it lists words you can't pronounce. Cheese shouldn't have 14 ingredients. Milk straight from the cow is best (and Heaven help you if you buy fat-free "milk") :p Also, it would be ideal to buy foods without labels. Hit up the farmers markets, know who grows your foods. This class has shown me exactly what is in the foods I eat everyday and why it's probably not such a good idea to be putting these things in my body. My goal in the long term is to eat foods that come straight from nature, plant my own garden (already have the space picked out), and turn 100% to the natural way of eating. Nourished foods, healthy foods, food the way God intended. Farm to fork. This is a challenge that I can't wait to tackle!
So my goals for this week? 1. Head to SC and pick up some delicious raw milk, raw cheese and other delightful goodies straight from the farm. 2. Go to the farmers markets in Forest City on Saturday morning and meet the growers of the vegetables I'll be eating. 3. Find 'real foods' replacements for 5 foods I normally eat.
Good for you! Isn't it crazy what we are eating....and have no idea about. I started this journey about a year ago. It requires a major change in how we look at food and the food insdustry! Good luck on your journey!
ReplyDelete